P2 Visa Information

What is a P-2 Visa?

For Canadian musicians to work in the US, we need a temporary “Classification P2 Work Permit”, or other non-immigrant permit (see the CFM website for more information).

For unpaid work, musicians may be eligible to enter the U.S. under B1 status (see the CFM website for more information – you will need to scroll down to find the section regarding B1 Business Visitors Visas).

Assistance from our office and the CFM head office with this process is available to VMA Members.  

US income tax for Canadian artists US Taxation Forms and Information for Canadian Artists Working in the US

P-2 Work Visa processing times:

As of June 01, 2017 Regular processing takes 75 days or more. Premium processing takes 30 days. These estimates are subject to change without notice. The earlier you can get your application in, the better. P2 information, including fees and processing times are always subject to change without notice. 

The time calculation is from when it is received in Toronto. 

**NOTE: the time frames above are for Canadian Citizens only. There are extra steps, time and cost for Permanent Residents Permanent Residents_P2 Extra Steps, Time and Costs


As of December 20th, 2016, the fee to Department of Homeland Security is $460 USD for regular processing.

Premium processing is $1225 USD plus $460 USD on two separate money orders.


P-2 Application Information

For up-to-date P-2 United States Work Visa Information and Application Forms, please go to the following web page: http://www.cfmusicians.org/services/work-permits

If you would like a VMA staff member to review your P2, please email susan@vma145.ca or call (604) 737-1110 to make an appointment. We can courier your P2 application to Toronto on your behalf at a cost of $33.00.

Please note that all P2 Work Visa applications are processed in Toronto and the time frame for processing is based on when it is received in Toronto.

Foreign Artists (from the US and abroad) wanting to work in Canada

If you are trying to bring a foreign artist or group into Canada to perform please contact:

Lily Kemeredin 

Email: reception@afm.org 

Phone: 416-391-5161 (or toll free in Canada 1 800 463-6333)

Extension 221

Fax: 416-391 5165